How to access this service


  1. Obtain application form for import/ export license from Ministry of Trade and Industry (MTI) – (868-674-3545 or 868-675-8242; )
  2. Complete form with four (4) species per Include: (a) both common and scientific names; (b) quantity per species; (c) purpose for import (breeding/commercial/personal use). Please feel free to contact the Aquaculture Unit for assistance with filling out the necessary forms for obtaining import or export licence.
  3. Submit completed application form to the Aquaculture Unit for review and approval of species prior to submission to the
  4. The approved form has to be uploaded to MTI/TTBIZLINK (800-4SEW (4739) for issuance of the Trade License.
  5. Inform Aquaculture Unit at least 48hrs prior to the scheduled import or export date, with flight information, approximate time and port of entry or The Aquaculture Unit is to be informed of any changes thereof.
  6. The Aquaculture Unit conducts an inspection of each import/export Documents required at inspection (originals and 2 copies of each):
    • Health certificate for all imports and where necessary for exports
    • Supplier’s Invoice for fish
    • CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora) certificate where necessary (org ). Should a CITES permit be required: (a) for export, please contact Forestry Division (b) for import, competent authority in exporting country has to issue CITES permit.


–     License issued by MTI. Please ensure that the breakdown sheet is completed.

  1. The Aquaculture Unit conducts inspections Monday to Friday from 8am to 4pm (excluding public holidays).
  2. There is a requirement by Customs & Excise Division that all shipments have an entry prepared for release of Please contact the Customs & Excise Division office at Piarco (669-1929) for further information and refer to section 214 of the Customs Act, Chapter 78:01, Act 22 of 1938.



Koi (Cyprinus carpio) & Goldfish (Carassius auratus.)

Koi & Goldfish are restricted species that require a Minster’s License for bona fide commercial breeders to import.

  1. Submit a letter of request to the Aquaculture Unit for the importation Koi and/or Goldfish which should include the following information:
    • Species (common and scientific names)
    • Number of fish of each species being requested for
    • Country of origin
    • Purpose for importing the fish
    • Importer’s Contact information
    • A copy of Deed of Ownership or permission letter from the property owner that the property is being used as a breeding facility and the Deed of Ownership for the property cited on the permission
  2. The Aquaculture Unit will contact the applicant to schedule an inspection of the facility to confirm operational Depending on the findings a recommendation will be made to the Minister of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries for approval and issuance of a Minster’s License for the import of the fish.
  3. Once a Minister’s Licence is granted, the applicant will be contacted for collection of letter of permission issued by The Aquaculture Unit to import Koi or Goldfish.
  4. Please refer to points 5-8


Scientific Research.

  1. Submit a letter of request to export fish for scientific research purposes to the Aquaculture Unit which should include the following information:
    • Species (common and scientific names)
    • Number of fish of each species being requested to be exported
    • Purpose for export
    • Consignee’s detailed information Name of research institution, both local and abroad, mailing address, telephone number and email address.
  2. The Aquaculture Unit would issue a letter of permission for export of the consignment to the exporter, addressed to the Trinidad and Tobago’s Customs & Excise Division.
  3. Once permission is granted please refer to points 5-8

Sign up for updates

Be in the know. Receive email notifications on the activities of the Ministry of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries.

New to our website?

We’ve grouped information on our website under helpful categories to make your experience easier.