To provide the Ministry of Food Production, with high quality professional legal advice and support on all aspects of the Ministry’s activities where required.
Goals and Objectives
Our objective is to provide legal advice and support to the Ministry in furtherance of its mandate and to protect the Ministry from liability. In this regard the Legal Unit sees as its key responsibilities the following:
- To conduct legal research and provide legal advice and support to the Minister, Permanent Secretary, and Directors in relation to their functions and responsibilities.
- To advise on regional and international agreements and treaties.
- To draft, review and interpret contracts, memoranda of understanding, licences, leases and other legal instruments to be entered into by the Ministry.
- To attend court and Disciplinary Tribunal hearings on behalf of the Ministry.
- To review legislation in furtherance of the Ministry’s legislative agenda.
- To assist in the formulation of Ministry policy.
Legislation, Policies and Frameworks
Departments & Key Responsibilities
Legislative and Regulatory Framework
Main Legislation Animal (Diseases and Importation) Act Animal (Diseases & Importation)Act Chapter 67:02 Legal Notice No. 205 of 2013 – The Animals (Importation) Control (Amendment) Regulations, 2013 Legal Notice No. 56 of 2014 – The Animals (Importation) Control (Amendment) Regulations, 2014 Legal Notice No. 84 of May 2004 – The Animals (Diseases and Importation) Act, […]
Legal Notice No. 84 of 2004 (Animals (Importation) Control (Amendment) Regulations 2004) Legal Notice No. 93 of 2006 (Plant Protection (Control of Black Sigatoka Disease) Order 2006) Legal Notice No. 303 of 2006 (The Fisheries (Control of Demersal Trawling) Regulations 2004; Erratum) Legal Notice No. 156 of 2007 (Notification of Type and Specification of Turtle […]
Agricultural Society Act (Chap. 63:01) Animals (Diseases and Importation) Act (Chap. 67:02) Beekeeping and Bee Products Act (Chap. 67:53) Caribbean Fisheries Training and Development Institute Act (Chap. 39:53) Cocoa and Coffee Industry Act (Chap. 64:20) Fisheries Act (Chap. 67:51) Land Acquisition Act (Chap. 58:01) Livestock and Livestock Products Board Act (Chap. 67:05) National Agricultural Marketing […]
Animals (Importation) Control Regulations (GN 27/1955) – Animals (Dieseases and Importation) Act, pg 88 Plant Protection Regulations (LN194/1997) – Plant Protection Act, pg 15 Fisheries (Conservation of Marine Turtles) Regulations (LN 65/1994) – Fisheries Act, pg13 Plant Protection Regulations (LN194/1997)Notification of Procedures for Resuscitation of Turtles (LN194/1999) – Fisheries Act, pg16 Fisheries (Control of Demersal […]