Geographic Information Systems
The Ministry began its investment in GIS in late 2011 with the conversion of the organisation’s paper based filing system to a multi-layered GIS dataset. Although this process is still on-going, the unit has developed a robust GIS that is available and used by many Divisions of the Ministry.The GIS unit focuses on the production and distribution of meaningful datasets, paper maps and interactive mapping applications.
We provide GIS direction, GIS project assistance, and deploy GIS technology for Ministry departments. This would not be possible without the dedication of the GIS Staff. Every tool at our disposal is used to provide GIS resources for all. As such, the team is currently responsible for providing Assistance to departments in deploying GIS data and applications to support departmental activities, such as:
- Development and maintenance of country wide State land parcel data
- Ad-hoc map creation for all departments of the Ministry and its stakeholder agencies
- Data distribution through online data repositories
- Web application development and support for Ministry departments through our online geoportal
- Development of new geospatial datasets and mapping services as requested
- GIS software license administration
- Management and day-to-day maintenance of the Ministry’s Enterprise-wide GIS including all hardware and software products used therein.
To leverage the power of geospatial technology and become the lead agency for Enterprise GIS solutions that delivers integrated services aligned with public policy and the dynamic needs of the Ministry..
Our mission is to empower the Ministry through the delivery of relevant GIS information, meaningful mapping services, GPS field surveys and interactive map applications on an ongoing basis.
What is GIS?
GIS stands for Geographic Information Systems. GIS is a computer system for capturing, storing, checking, and displaying data related to positions on the Earth’s surface. GIS can show many different kinds of data on one map and produce reports suited to your needs. This enables people to more easily see, analyse, and understand patterns and relationships.
GPS stands for Global Positioning System. GPS is a satellite navigation system used to determine the position of an object on the earth.
- Geospatial Analysis (Desktop)
- GPS Field Investigation & Data Collection (Mobile)
- Map Requests
- Online GIS Mapping (Web)
- Site Suitability Selection
- Consultations towards designing spatial solutions for various departments within the Ministry