Government of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago
Gov.tt
Generic selectors
Exact matches only
Search in title
Search in content
Filter by Categories
Agricultural Services
All Manuals - Crops
Animal Production & Health
Banana
Bees Sensitization
Bulletins
Bulletins - Crops
Careers
Citrus
Cocoa-crops
Contract Employment
Corn
Crops2
Department Subdivision and Units
Engineering
Events
Extension Training & Information Services
Factsheet - Advisory
Factsheets
Factsheets-Crops
Factsheets-livestock
Fisheries
Forestry
Former Ministers
Gallery 2019 Page
Gallery 2020 Page
Gallery 2021 Page
General Public
Giant African Snails
Home Gardening Series
Home Gardens
Homepage Featured Land
Horticulture
How to Grow
Lease Letter Distribution
Legislation
Livestock
Livestock Feeds
Mango
Manuals
Manuals & Booklets - Livestock
Manuals-Crops
Media Releases
News
Pest Advisories
Photo Gallery
Photo Gallery 2019
Photo Gallery 2020
Photo Gallery 2021
Posters - Other
Posters-Livestock
Poultry
Poultry Bulletins
Public Notices
Public Officers
Publications
Regional Administration North
Regional Administration South
Research
Root Crops
Seed Initiative
Survey More
Surveying and Mapping
Sweet Potato
Tenders
Training Courses

Rambharat: Food Basket Distribution Fair, Above Board

19 May, 2021

Rambharat: Food Basket Distribution Fair, Above Board

May 19, 2021 — Minister of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries Clarence Rambharat on Wednesday described as “pathetic” allegations of bias and unfairness in the government’s covid-relief food basket initiative by the Opposition United National Congress (UNC).

“I wish to say that any allegations of impropriety are without basis and totally unsupported by the facts,” Minister Rambharat said. “The facts will show that during a May 10 press conference hosted by the Honourable Minister of Finance, the government extended the food basket programme until July, and possibly the end of September, effectively doubling the number of families who would benefit. The facts will also show that of the initial allotment of 25,000 relief packages, roughly 52 percent have been distributed to UNC constituencies as of today—52 percent.”

According to distribution data supplied by the National Agricultural Marketing and Development Corporation (NAMDEVCO), 13 out of 19 UNC MPs had already received packages for more than 300 families in each of their constituencies by May 19, just two weeks after the programme was announced. They include Couva North MP Ravi Ratiram who has so far collected more than 400 food packages based on a list of 400 names he originally submitted to NAMDEVCO, and Barataria/San Juan MP Saddam Hosein who received 200 packages precisely because his original list had 200 names.

When disaggregated, the data also show that some 12,000 families across all 41 constituencies had received food packages by late Wednesday, with another 735 packages going to a number of NGOs for distribution.

“It is regrettable that I have to break out the numbers to prove which constituency got what, Minister Rambharat said. “But the UNC is once again engaged in cheap politics at a time when the entire country is hurting.”

While the pandemic continues to impact the local and global economy, Minister Rambharat is assuring the country that the government remains committed to providing for all citizens across all constituencies who need support under the food relief programme.