The Minister of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries Senator the Honourable Kazim Hosein, along with Ministers in the Ministry, Senator the Honourable Avinash Singh, Senator the Honourable Nigel de Freitas, the Permanent Secretary, Ms. Susan Shurland and Deputy Permanent Secretary (Ag.), Mrs. Coomarie Goolabsingh met with Chairmen and CEOs of the various State Agencies within the MALF at the Ministry’s Head Office on Tuesday 26th April, 2022.
This was the Honorable Minister’s first meeting with the various entities collectively since assuming the Office on March 16th, 2022. At this introductory meeting, Minister Hosein was provided with a status update on the operations at these State Agencies.
Amongst the items discussed were the identification of further marketing opportunities for farmers through the National Agricultural Marketing and Development Corporation (NAMDEVCO) and the Agricultural Development Bank (ADB), the new Fisheries Legislation Bill which is currently before Parliament, the issue of land surveying, land tenureship, wildlife conservation and forming strategic alliances with key stakeholders to assist the Agriculture Ministry in further advancing its mandate.
The State Agencies in attendance were;
- Chairman of the National Agricultural Marketing and Development Corporation (NAMDEVCO), Mr. Wayne Inniss
- Chairman of the Agricultural Development Bank (ADB), Mr. Sekou Mark Chairman of the Cocoa Development Company of Trinidad and Tobago (CDCTTL), Ms. Jacqueline Rawlins
- Chairman of the Land Survey Board of Trinidad and Tobago (LSBTT),
Mrs. Alicia Naimool –Ramdass
- Chairman of the Palo Seco Enterprises Agricultural Enterprises Limited (PSAEL), Mr. Wayne Di Chi
- Chairman of the Zoological Society of Trinidad and Tobago (ZSTT),
Mr. Gupte Lutchmedial
- Chairman of the Caribbean Fisheries Training and Development Institute (CFTDI), Mr. Paul Gabbadon
- Representatives of the Estate Management and Business Development Company, (EMBD) and
- Representatives from the Agricultural Society of Trinidad and Tobago (ASTT)
Also in attendance were the respective Chief Executive Officers of the aforementioned State Agencies as well as Dr. John Alleyne, Special Advisor to the Prime Minister on Agriculture, the Conservator of Forests, Mr. Denny Dipchansingh and personnel from the Ministry of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries.
At the conclusion of the meeting Minister Hosein commented, “I would like to thank you all for attending this very important meeting today and I look forward to meeting with you and your respective teams at your various locations for a more in-depth conversation on our plans moving forward.”
He further promised continued collaboration with all Agencies and thanked them for their continued support.