Agriculture in Trinidad and Tobago to Benefit from Colombia as part of South-South Co-operation
Agriculture in Trinidad and Tobago to Benefit from
Colombia as part of South-South Co-operation
22nd November, 2019:
As part of the Caribbean Basin and South-South Co-operation Project, the Ministry of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries (MALF) was afforded an opportunity to participate in a training programme in Colombia on risk management and climate change adaptation, with an emphasis on water management. A four (4) member team from MALF visited the Republic of Colombia during the period October 7-11, 2019.
The major highlights of the visit were presented at the MALF Head Office to Her Excellency Martha Cecila Pinilla- Perdomo, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary and Ms. Heidi Cortes Acosto, Deputy Head of Mission at the Embassy of the Republic of Colombia in Trinidad and Tobago, along with officials of the MALF.
The T&T mission attended several interactive workshops in Colombia, including, Rain Water Harvesting Approaches and Alternatives; Crop Protection Diagnostics and Surveillance; Seeds Gene Bank- [Genetic Resources Programme] and on Digital Agriculture, Information Technology and the use of Drones.
At the conclusion of the workshops, future bi-lateral arrangements were agreed upon by both countries. Some areas of interest expressed were:
- Water and Waste Water Management, Storage and Conservation Strategies with a focus on Rain Water Harvesting and Drip Irrigation Techniques
- Vertical Farming Systems as alternative cultivation methods due to Land Degradation
- Protected Agriculture Systems including Green House and Shade House, to mitigate against extreme weather conditions such as foods and drought
- Cultivation, Harvesting, Post- Harvest Techniques, Storage Methods and Research in Livestock Forage for use as Animal Feed with Focus on Small Ruminants
- Digital Agriculture and Mobile Technology with focus on the use of Drones
- Renewable Energy Systems in Agriculture with focus on Solar Energy
- Mechanical Harvesting Systems for Root Crops
As part of the future bi-lateral arrangements, it was also proposed that a team from the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD) in Colombia visit this country in 2020.