10472794-1024×683

Farmer Bindra Maharaj, right, makes out his case to Agriculture Minister Clarence Rambharat during a visit to Plum Mitan lagoon. – Photo by Lincoln Holder

Agriculture Minister Clarence Rambharat wants to remove the responsibility for repairing pumps, water management and dredging water channels from his portfolio.

He intends to raise the matter with the Prime Minister.

He told a group of Plum Mitan farmers on Wednesday that the Ministry of Works and Transport and WASA’s water-resource management were better suited to deal with these issues.

Rambharat, accompanied by Commissioner of State Lands Bhanmatie Seecharan, the director of the Agriculture Ministry’s engineering division Ann Marie Dardaine, and several other ministry officials, including Kelly Doodnath the agricultural officer assigned to the lagoon, visited the farmers in the Plum Mitan lagoon to hear and see first-hand some of their complaints.

After the tour, Rambharat said he needed to reconvene a meeting of the heads of department to develop a priority plan to rescue the Plum Mitan farmers.

Last week, Sunday Newsday highlighted the plight of the farmers, who complained that the pumps needed to prevent their fields from being flooded were inoperable and the water channels were clogged with silt.

They extended an open invitation to Rambharat and his team, and the minister said he had no problem in meeting with them. On Wednesday, he accepted the invitation and took time to listen to all their concerns, offer solutions, and tour the lagoon with a select group of farmers.

Plum Mitan farmers watch a video presentation highlighting some of the issues affecting the farming community. – Photo by Lincoln Holder

The farmers, who gathered at the government quarters in the lagoon to await the minister’s arrival, were shown a video package made by Floyd Homer and Terry Sampson, which was done to raise awareness of their issues, and which caught the attention of the minister recently.

In response, farmers said they were hoping the minister makes good on his promises and gets the necessary funding to help them provide more food to the nation.

Rambharat said he was committed to the development programme to improve the infrastructure to aid the farmers, was finalising the budget for the 2020/2021 fiscal package and was optimistic that the promise of $500 million for capital expenses would be a reality.

He said the ministry was constrained by the lack of adequate funding to get projects off the ground, but noted that the Prime Minister had made agriculture a priority area in the second term and Plum Mitan was special because of the amount of food the farmers produced and the fact that many people in this rural district did not have any alternative source of income.

He said after speaking to farmers he understood the main issues were water management, regularising land tenure, and the availability of specialised training for farmers to develop new skills and use technology in growing crops and reducing labour.

Rambharat said the engineering division had already identified the problems with the non-functioning pumps and was disheartened to learn that farmers had to dip into their own pockets to buy diesel to keep them running.

“We can’t let something like that affect the farmers in Plum Mitan,” he said, adding that had someone approached him, he would have taken money from his election campaign in the Chaguanas East constituency to buy fuel.

In this August 28, 2020 file photo, farmer Shammie Deonanan points to a flooded field of cucumbers near the pump station at block one of the Plum Mitan lagoon. Agriculture Minister Clarence Rambharat met Plum Mitan farmers last Wednesday to discuss ways to help them. –

Rambharat said there was a lot of money in agriculture: $250 million passes through the farmers’ market at Namdevco and there were more opportunities if farmers accessed the grants of up to $100,000 each to improve the infrastructure on their farms, which includes packing houses, security, solar lights, mechanised farming equipment and washroom facilities.

He acknowledged that the issue of water management was a sensitive one, as the farms bordered the protected Nariva Swamp, which was damaged in the October 2018 floods.

Addressing complaints about the length of time to get leases approved, the minister said it usually took 20 years for a file to leave an agricultural station to get to the minister’s desk, but noted that “things are moving a little faster now on the renewals.”

He said he had done considerable work to unclog the backlog of lease renewals in his last stint as minister in the Rowley administration and suggested that may have been a reason he was reappointed for another term.

Rambharat pleaded with the farmers to write formal letters seeking updates on their pending applications, as that provided him with a paper trail and was easy to track.

Discarded hoses near the pump house at the Plum Mitan lagoon. – Photo by Lincoln Holder

Doodnath told the farmers that he had to literally beg the Ministry of Works to help desilt some of the clogged water channels and pleaded for a “long-reach” excavator to be stationed at the lagoon full-time to maintain the watercourses in the 1,200 acres.

Dardaine said her division intended to buy an excavator for the site to service the 40 kilometres of canals.

On the issue of pending claims for compensation after acres of crops were destroyed by floods, Rambharat conceded that the process was not a simple one, as it had to be verified and supported by evidence. He said if such claims were made by farmers groups rather than individuals, they would be easier to address.

“Some people feel because you make a claim you will get money. Some people cannot support their claim. They don’t have permission to be on the land,” he said.

But he agreed that if a claim does not meet the requirement, the applicant must be informed, which was not the case.

Dealing with a complaint from a farmer about the operations at the Port of Spain Market, the minister said “the corruption is with the police,” and he had raised the issue with both Port of Spain mayor Joel Martinez and deputy mayor Hillan Morean.

He said officers demand payment from the farmers to open the gate to the market, and they determine when the market should be closed for sanitisation.

“That is an ongoing battle,” he said.

One of the non-functioning pumps at the Plum Mitan lagoon. – Photo by Lincoln Holder

On the suggestion of subsidising the cost of chemicals, Rambharat said the government cannot incentivise farming any more. He said some products were tax-free, duty-free and the government was not willing to reach the point of distributing fertiliser free.

He said compensation for flood loss of crops had become a business, with people planting crops to earn the highest return on flood damage – or fake flood damage. The bulk of incentives, he complained, are used by farmers to buy vehicles which never see a farm, and he pleaded with them to boost their production using the incentives already offered by the government.

Original article here

Announcement of the 2nd Edition of the National Cocoa Awards Competition

August 25, 2020:- At a ceremonial announcement held on Friday 21st August, 2020 at the Cocoa Development Company of Trinidad and Tobago Limited, Chaguanas, lead prize sponsor National Flour Mills Limited presented a cheque for $25,000 to the Chairman of the National Organising Committee, for the 2nd edition of the National Cocoa Awards Competition.

 

National Flour Mills Limited previously sponsored the coveted top prize of the 2019 Inaugural edition of the National Cocoa Awards Competition, which was a trip to Paris, France to participate in the International Cocoa Awards Ceremony at the Salon du Chocolat. Mr. Leroy Peters, Grande Riviere cocoa farmer, was the first-prize winner of the 2019 Inaugural edition.

 

Mr. Kelvin Mahabir, Chief Executive Officer of the National Flour Mills presented the prize sponsorship cheque to Mr. Leon Granger, Chief Executive Officer of the Cocoa Development Company of Trinidad and Tobago Limited, who is also the Chairman of the National Organising Committee for the competition. The National Organizing Committee members include representatives from the Ministry of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries; Export Trinidad and Tobago Limited (ExporTT); and Cocoa Research Centre of the University of the West Indies (CRC, UWI).

 

At the cheque presentation ceremony, the Cocoa Development Company of Trinidad and Tobago Limited’s Chief Executive Officer, Mr. Leon Granger remarked that “the National Cocoa Awards creates a real sense of pride in our premium cocoa legacy.” He added “participation in the competition raises the profile of local cocoa producers, giving them access to better prices from local manufacturers and export markets.” The National Cocoa Awards Competition was started as a mechanism to empower farmers and recognize the diverse flavours of the Trinitario cocoa variety, born in Trinidad and Tobago.

 

Chief Executive Officer of the National Flour Mills Limited, Mr. Kelvin Mahabir spoke of that company’s continued prize sponsorship of the National Cocoa Awards Competition, saying “as a company, we are keen on agricultural diversification and believe our world- beating cocoa is an excellent lead into this arena.”

 

The 2019 top prize winner and one of the top four winners of the Inaugural National Cocoa Awards Competition, went on to gain international acclaim for Trinidad and Tobago, at the October 2019 International Cocoa Awards in Paris, France. The husband and wife cocoa farming pairs of Mr. Leroy and Geeta Peters of Grande Riviere, and Mr. Martin and Jacqueline Matthew of Mundo Nuevo, Talparo, topped global competitors to win International Cocoa Awards for the Central America and Caribbean grouping.

 

All cocoa farmers and processors of Trinidad and Tobago are invited to participate in the 2020 National Cocoa Awards Competition. Submissions of 10kg of dried cocoa beans can be made to the Cocoa Development Company of Trinidad and Tobago’s office, located at #16 Mulchan Seuchan Road, Chaguanas. The deadline for submission of entries to the National Cocoa Awards Competition is November 30th, 2020.

Forestry Division to conduct Sawmill Inspections

All Sawmillers are advised to have their records updated on the accepted forms (Form A, Form B and Form C) with immediate effect. All entries from Removal Permits MUST be hand written in all three (3) forms. These forms can be accessed at all Forestry Offices and downloadable versions are also available on the Ministry’s website.

 

Kindly note that compliance with the above is mandatory. Non-compliance can result in the Forestry Division imposing sanctions (e.g. penalties/fines) under the Sawmills Act Chapter 66:02, Sections 7, 8 & 10.

Note for your ease of reference, a copy of the Sawmill Act is also available online on the Ministry of Legal Affairs’ website- https://rgd.legalaffairs.gov.tt/Laws2/Alphabetical_List/lawspdfs/66.02.pdf

 

Downloadable Forms:

Download Notice Here

 

Conservator of Forests

The COVID-19 pandemic has affected the supply of imported chicken, however, government has assured that local processors can fully supply the local demand.

Minister of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries, Clarence Rambharat said to Lloop News that due to the pandemic and the recent lockdown on activity, there have been pockets of supply issues:

‘There are little pockets of supply issues because of the shutdown and later restart of food service industry.’

‘Production was adjusted to deal with reduced demand- and given the fact that we are dealing with birds that have to be grown out- the restart meant that production had to be restarted in an environment of uncertain demand.’

He said there were some delays in supply but most of these have been smoothed out.

‘Small pockets are being reported and are being addressed. Local processors can fully supply the local market.’

Penal/Debe councillor Shanty Boodram shared a social media post on Wednesday saying she had seen a shortage of chicken supplies in her area.

According to a July 24 report by Poultry World, the pandemic has affected the global poultry chain.

The report said dozens of meat-processing plants have been forced to close temporarily as the industry struggles to contain the spread of the coronavirus among employees who often have to stand side-by-side while cutting and packing poultry.

The report added that chicken supplies have been affected by the global reduction of flights: the International Poultry Council warned that the sharp reduction in global air transport caused by the coronavirus pandemic could leave some companies without breeding stock and hatching eggs.

The Ministry said it is adressing the matter.

Source article

MEDIA RELEASE

Correction to Article – “$500m for Agriculture next Budget say Rambharat”

Reference is made to the article published in the Daily News Limited (Newsday) on Wednesday 29th July, 2020 – under the said Header Caption “$500m for Agriculture next Budget, says Rambharat”

The Ministry of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries wishes to bring clarification on the above article as it misrepresents the intent of the $500m allocation for the Agriculture Ministry.

The proposed $500m is for Capital Expenditure on projects identified in the First Phase Report of the Road Map Committee.

The Newsday article misinforms the national community, as it implies there will be a reduction of the recurrent allocation to the Agriculture Ministry which is at present $1.2 billion from various sources including, allocations in other Ministries intended to benefit MALF activities .Evidently, the $500m represents an increase in capital allocation from $63m to 500m.

The Ministry of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries request that an amendment to the article be published at your earliest convenience, as this will avoid any further misconceptions in the public domain.
The Ministry remains fully committed in the overall development of the Agricultural Sector and will continue to implement the necessary policies and programmes in order to achieve long term food security and sustainability.

End

Download Media Release Here

Construction to Commence at Grand Chemin Fishing Facility

 

30th July, 2020: At the Sod-Turning Ceremony to commence construction of the $62.5m Grand Chemin Fishing Facility in Moruga on 27th July, 2020, Agriculture Minister, Clarence Rambharat in his Opening Remarks said that, the facility will provide a unique space for value-added enterprise, as well as the opportunity for a vibrant, export market and sustainable job creation.

According to Minister Rambharat, the construction of an upgraded facility will generate much needed economic activity for the fishing community. He further remarked, that the Gran Chemin Fishing Facility is another in a series of similar type projects that will contribute significantly to the overall development of rural Moruga. Among these, was the recently launched, Moruga Agro- Processing and Light Industrial Park, improvement to Moruga’s road and housing infrastructure and the construction of a sporting facility.

Sharing similar sentiments on the importance of the development of rural communities was Prime Minister, Dr. the Honourable Keith Rowley, who, in delivering the Feature Address, said that there was much value and inclusivity to be derived nationally, when rural developmental projects mirrored those currently enjoyed by urban Trinidad and Tobago. “What facilities such as there are doing, is creating opportunity and ensuring that every person, everywhere in this country, has the same opportunity as anybody else, anywhere in the country. That is called balanced development”, the Prime Minister said.

Also addressing the invited guests were, Senator the Honourable Rohan Sinanan, Minister of Works and Transport; Senator the Honourable Paula Gopee-Scoon, Minister of Trade and Industry and NIDCO Chairman, Mr. Herbert George. Attendees included, the outgoing Member of Parliament for Moruga / Tableland and Minister in the Ministry of Education, Dr. the Honourable Lovell Francis and Acting Director, Fisheries Division of the Ministry of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries, Ms. Nerissa Lucky.

The Grand Chemin Fishing facility is a project of the Ministry of Works and Transport and the National Infrastructure Development Company Limited (NIDCO). It spans 2,170 square metres and will provide birthing for 150 fishing vessels, storage units for boat engines, equipment and fishing supplies; repair facilities for boats and nets, a wholesale and retail fish market; cold storage and ice maker amenities; water storage and waste water treatment plant; parking and security.

Completion of the project is expected in fourteen (14) months with construction set to commence in August, 2020.

 

GCFF 1

Prime Minister of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago, Dr. the Honourable Keith Rowley (centre) is flanked by Senator the Honourable Clarence Rambharat, Minister of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries (second from right); Senator the Honourable Rohan Sinanan, Minister of Works and Transport (third from right); Senator the Honourable Paula Gopee-Scoon, Minister of Trade and Industry (third from left); Senator the Honourable Kazim Hosein, Minister of Rural Development and Local Government (second from left); Minister in the Ministry of Education, Dr. the Honourable Lovell Francis (extreme right) and; NIDCO Chairman, Mr. Herbert George (extreme left), as they turn the sod to formally commission the construction of the $62.5m Grand Chemin Fishing Facility in Moruga on 27th July, 2020.

 

Download Here


Sign up for updates

Be in the know. Receive email notifications on the activities of the Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries.

New to our website?

We’ve grouped information on our website under helpful categories to make your experience easier.