Ghanaian Yam varieties have “good prospects” says Agriculture Minister

February 10, 2021:- The three (3) Ghanaian yam varieties recently harvested at the National Seed Bank (NSB) in Chaguaramas have “good prospects” particularly in terms of their yield, storability, shape and remarkable potential for agro-processing. So said the Minister of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries, Senator the Honourable Clarence Rambharat, on Tuesday 9th February, 2021, when he visited the propagation station to participate in a yam display and organoleptic testing exercise hosted for the Ministry’s executive and senior staff.

The yam varieties – which were brought into the country by Prime Minister, Dr. the Honourable Keith Rowley, following his official visit to Ghana in March, 2020. They were subsequently planted at the NSB in June 2020 and harvested earlier this month. The commodities comprise of two (2) Ghanaian varieties of white yam (Pona / TDR89/02665 & TDR 95/ 19177) and one (1) variety of water yam (Matches).

Minister Rambharat said that he was pleased to see the project came on stream despite a few challenge and noted, that while many of our local provisions originated from Africa and other parts of the world, it is “always important” to introduce new varieties to the mix in order to add to Trinidad and Tobago’s existing stock and also to rebuild our own.

Commenting further on the Ghanaian varieties, the Agriculture Minister said, “One of the things that caught my attention was the fact that it seemed easier to handle in terms of the shape and the ability to be peeled mechanically. This is always a key factor when it comes to processing, as persons are always looking at the possibility of the yam being good for yam flour and also if you want to do processing of value added, If there is a need for hand peeling, that is an additional labour cost, as against a simpler method of just scraping off its skin and washing it, that will be a major pull factor to consider.”

In describing the NSB as “a place where the technical people in the Ministry really take the lead”, Minister Rambharat said he was particularly heartened by the “energy” and “interest” by its staff and looked forward to production of more plant material, so that these new varieties can be made available to the public within the shortest possible period of time.

YAM 1

Minister of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries, Senator the Honourable Clarence Rambharat, carefully peels one of the three (3) Ghanaian yam varieties recently harvested at the National Seed Bank (NSB) in Chaguaramas during a yam display and organoleptic testing exercise hosted at the propagation station on Tuesday 9th February, 2021.

Download Here

State Lands Commissioner upset over backfilling in La Romaine

By Narissa Fraser

February 06, 2021

 

COMMISSIONER of State Lands Bhanmati Seecharan is upset and plans to take swift action over illegal backfilling in La Romaine, which is continuing despite several warnings.

Residents of Alan Lucky Street, La Romaine contacted Newsday about the issue, which they claim has been going on for at least three years.

They claim the owner of a nearby hardware store has backfilled over 20 acres of what used to be a seaside area.

When Newsday visited, Seecharan and officials from the EMA (Environmental Management Authority) were making a site visit.

There was debris in the sea, including old tyres, sheets of galvanise and pieces of steel. Because of this, residents say, fishermen have had to find somewhere else to use. The debris would regularly damage their boats and nets and even injured some fishermen.

What was once a road leading to the sea is now a dirt cliff and the recreation ground used by students of St Benedict’s College is now caving in, though the businessman tried to build a retaining wall upon realising this.

One resident said, “He said he knows people and nobody could do him anything and that this will be his private land in the future.

“I didn’t have any problems with him, but you see when he started throwing rubbish into the ocean and blocking off the residents…Some people are just selfish. I am sorry for poor people in this country.”

When Newsday began taking photos and videos of the tractors working in the area, the workers stopped and left.

EMA regional co-ordinator Steve Lalbeharry told Newsday the EMA had received reports and was investigating and any further information would have to be provided by its corporate communications unit.

Seecharan told Newsday the State Lands department
has written to the hardware owner many times and sent several cease-and-desist warnings.

“What we realised is, he is just not taking this on, and is continuing. So we got together with the legal team and decided we will come down and literally start a process of legal action against him.”

Asked if it is common for people to continue such activities even after being warned, she said, “In most cases, people tend to take their hands off, but apparently in this incident, the gentleman is continuing no matter what.”

Given the extent of the backfill, residents suggested building a play park for children in the area once the issue is sorted out.

One said, “It had a bay here, and it was so nice and residents would use it. In fact, at one point my kids would come down and use it also.”

When Newsday called the business, the person who answered said the owner is “not accepting calls right now.”

 

Read original article

 


Sign up for updates

Be in the know. Receive email notifications on the activities of the Ministry of Agriculture & Fisheries.

New to our website?

We’ve grouped information on our website under helpful categories to make your experience easier.