National Animal Disease Centre (NADC)
(a) Rabies Control.
The Anti-Rabies Unit (ARU)
- Control of Vampire Bat (rabies vector) populations through, routine monitoring of known roosts, identification of location of new roosts.
- Investigation of bat biting incidents in livestock.
- Annual rabies vaccination of livestock in collaboration with district Veterinary Officers.
- Prevention of the spread of rabies in livestock during outbreaks through Ring vaccinations.
- Provision of public awareness programmes on Rabies.
- Provision of advice to the public on the control of bat infestation in public and private building.
(b) Poultry Surveillance Unit (PSU)
- Inspection and issuance of landing permits for imported eggs and live poultry at airports and seaports.
At designated ports of entry, eligibility for import is assessed and landing permits are issued.
- Passive poultry disease surveillance through routine poultry farm visits and investigation of reports of feral bird deaths.
- Advisory Service to Poultry Farmers on farm site selection and housing good husbandry practices, nutritional management, disease prevention and control, biosecurity and Food Safety.
(c ) Quarantine and Airport Services
- Issuance of landing permits for animals and animal products into Trinidad at all designated ports of entry.
- Verification that entry requirements of all imported animals and animal products are met.
- Inspection of live animals for export.
- Daily Monitoring of horses during the stipulated quarantine period at Santa Rosa Equine Quarantine facility and National Animal Disease Equine Quarantine facility.
- Inspection of premises for authorization to become temporary Government-approved Quarantine facilities at the discretion of the Chief Veterinary Officer.
- Field Services supervised by the district Veterinary Officers
- Regulatory: services to coordinate and implement Veterinary preventative medicine programmes re: Rabies vaccination of livestock.
- Disease Surveillance including but not limited to the following:
Bovine Tuberculosis, Brucellosis, Bovine Leukosis Virus (BLV) Disease, Johne’s disease, Caseous Lymphadenitis (CLA) and Caprine Arthritis Encephalitis (CAE).
- Ambulatory Service to Livestock Farmers on clinical cases both treatment and preventative medicine measures and surgical cases (both elective and emergency procedures).
- Advisory Service to Livestock Farmers on good husbandry practices, nutritional and reproductive management, disease prevention, animal welfare and biosecurity.