To encourage the production and consumption of local fruits and by so doing contribute to the enhancement of food security and health of the nation.
To conserve agro-biodiversity as it relates to locally cultivated fruits, while improving agricultural production, growth and productivity in critical areas for both domestic consumption and export (expected result being elevated yield and quality).
- Diagnosis and recommendations on agronomic problems in the fruit and coconut sector
- Provision of agronomic information on establishment of fruit orchard with good agricultural practices
- Recommendation of management practices for efficient fruit production on various fruit types.
- Preparation of cost of production profiles for various fruit varieties and coconuts.
- Production of bulletins/factsheets on production of types of fruit
- Characterization of Musa germplasm (12 varieties) 2011 -2014
- Flowering and fruiting patterns of eight mango varieties located in seven counties in Trinidad over the period 2010 – 2013.
- Revitalization of the coconut industry:
- Collection of planting material and planting out in observation plots.
- Preparation of a growers’ guide for coconut with emphasis on good agricultural practices.
- Fertilizer evaluation on Tableland hybrid pineapple 2011 – 2014
- Fruit conservation and improvement programme for the lesser known fruits
- Minor Fruit Collection, Propagation and Establishment in Field Plots
- Characterization of Minor fruits
- 2012 – 2013 - Carambola Characterization
Contact information646-4335 – 7 ext. 4021
The Crop research sub-section of the Research division continues to place emphasis on investigative and developmental activities in the areas of germplasm management and enhancement, crop production and sustainable systems in an effort to contribute to the enhancement of the level and quality of food production. The sub-section participates in a number of collaborative projects within and outside the ministry and provides the necessary support services to the stake-holders, the farming community and the public.
- Roots and Tubers
- Seed Technology
- Bio fertiliser
- Soils Laboratory
- Analytical Services
- Tissue Culture
- Herbs and spices