Responsible for the conduct of agronomic research on vegetable crops grown in Trinidad and Tobago thereby facilitating the sustainable development of Agriculture while ensuring domestic food security.
Current Research Projects:
Project 1: Characterization and evaluation of twelve (12) Seim (Dolichos sp) accessions grown in T&T.
Aim: To characterize and evaluate physical and nutritional traits of seim grown in Trinidad and Tobago
Characters being assessed: morphological characters of plant, pod, seed, yield/plant and nutritional characters.
- Collection of accessions
- Preliminary characterization/evaluation
- Nutritional quality being assessed
Publications of manuals and recommendations of most suitable varieties to be grown by farmers.
Project 2: Pumpkin improvement for the export market
Aim: To produce a uniform pumpkin variety for the export market.
- Survey of exporters and farmers
- Phenotypic Assortive Mating
- Further improvement to ensure homozygosity of desired characteristics.
- Seed multiplication and distribution.
Contact Information:Albada Beekham (Ag. Agronomist)
Richard Ramdin (Agricultural Assistant I)
1 868 646 4335 Ext 4026